Subject: Re: 50 Noct. in bright light
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 16:13:06 -0800

> >> So what
> >> would happen if I mounted a Noctilux on my M3 (and don't I wish I could
> >> afford to!) and took pictures in the noonday sun? Would civilization, such
> as it is, crumble?

If you can get a hold a the Leica large format magazine that featured
the 40 years of Leica M photography. you will find an image by Luis
Casteneda of green cactus festival costume shot in Spain in bright
sunshine.  That photo should answer any questions about the image
quality of a Noctilux at smaller stops.

How did they design a lens to be low contrast wide open and high
contrast stopped down?  Don't know, don't care.

Donal Philby
San Diego