Subject: Eve Arnold-Great American Leica & Nikon User
From: leicas@isham-research.demon.co.uk (Phil Payne)
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 10:41:03 GMT

In message <9711250931.AA03823@lammio.hut.fi> Kari Eloranta writes:

> This transition is interesting. In the Magnum's history In Our Time
> and elsewhere there are a few photos showing her at work. With a
> Nikon F and sometimes an external finder in the flash shoe. She
> apparently missed a few things in the RF world ;-). Nice technique.

Almost fifteen years ago, I wanted an extreme wide-angle but couldn't
afford Leitz prices - an Olympus OM2 with 19mm rectilinear entered my
life.

I recently picked up an f1.4 standard lens _very_ cheaply ($20) and
have tried it a few times.  What I really miss is the ability to see
what's going on just outside the frame - to anticipate things entering
it, and see what's just outside the composition.  With an SLR, I feel
like I'm looking through a glass-bottomed bucket onto a reef.

- --
 Phil Payne