Subject: Fake DX
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 9:14:54 -0500

>Has anyone ever tried making up fake DX gizmos? What if you took a
>cassette for the speed you need, took it apart, and cut out the
section
>of the metal shell with the DX pattern on it, and then just stuck this
on
>another cassette with double-sided tape, so that it would have a DX
code
>for a different speed?

I've got a doctor at our hospital who has a DX only type camera.  We
bulk roll all of our film but all of the re-usable Konica cassettes I
have are DX coded at 100 and he wants to use 400.   So I've made a few
cassettes scratching away the black non-conducting areas and putting
scotch tape over the metal conducting areas to change the coding.  It
works, but I'm not sure I would want to do it on a regular basis.  It's
easier to use exposure compensation or manual DX settings.

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador