Subject: Re: More on R4
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 10:28:58 -0600

At 12:56 AM 11/27/97 -0800, you wrote:

>Actually the R7 is very flash capable. Flash fill and all of that works
>great. It, of course, neither contain a "flash meter" nor can it zoom a
>flash head via ROM. But it'll do pretty do everything else, without the
>operator having to think. I have two R7's and flash is truly a no-brainer.

What I mean is that fill-flash on the R7 is very rudimentary. The Leica
attitude at the time was "Minus 1.4 is perfect for all fill flash." That's
just plain wrong.

The R8 and 3501 adapter for flash lets you dial in fill flash from minus
three to plus three. Much more flexible. I don't care so much about a
zooming head. But control is more important to me. Just one setting for
fill flash (and not even the best one for most situations I meet) is hardly
better than none.

As for TTL, the R7 is just fine.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength
that will endure as long as life lasts.

Rachel Carson