Subject: Re: Take it seriously.... Some do..(my 2 cents)...
From: GCodispoti@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 13:24:31 -0500 (EST)

In message <97257C34017E1B00@mailgate.hcjb.org.ec> "BIRKEY, DUANE" writes:
> I have also heard those statements and I have read that Leica designed the
>Noctilux for wide open shooting only, assuming that users would switch to
the
> Summicron for stopped down shooting in several magazine articles.

Obviously all lenses can be used at any opening, the best being (generally
speaking) two or three stops in the middle range.

The large-aperture lenses are designed to perform better than average at
those wide openings knowing that photojournalists, wild life photographers
and others need to work at those apertures either in low light conditions or
to limit depth of field.

I am not an optical expert, but I am sure that the Big Three (or four, or
five) would not
produce optics of great light-gathering properties without placing due
emphasis on the performance at those apertures.  There are of course
exceptions; Canon f.07 (or some such nonsense) and others, I am sure designed
so that the owner could indulge in one-upmanship.

During the hay days of the Nikon 50/1.4, the company claimed that it was
designed to perform well at that aperture.  I am certain, however, that the
claim did not imply that f1.4 delivered the best performance of the range or
that it should be used exclusively at that aperture.

Giuseppe.