Subject: Re: Digital storage???
From: Kari Eloranta <eloranta@lammio.hut.fi>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 97 17:32:58 +0200

Excellent piece, Jim. Just one further question. You say

>There is still one flaw. To produce a very high resolution digital
>image (400+ megabytes) takes time just to move that amount of
data.

I don't know much about digital imaging but I've seen the following
estimate a few times: a 35mm frame of Velvia has about 64 megabytes
of useful information. "Useful" I think referring to how close
shades human eye can distinguish. Scanning resolution set somehow
according to the size of the grain. So is your figure referring to a
bigger format or is this just simply a hard thing to judge?

I guess the bottom line is: Are there any standards/agreements
currently of what constitutes a digital equivalent of an image on
film?

Kari