Subject: Noctilux and Super Elmar
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 11:32 +1100

I have a futher question on the Noctilux, which I suppose I could investigate for myself or just be lazy and ask. Some time ago someone asked what the effect of stopping down the Noctilux was on the performance of the lens. The question was never answered, comments centering on why use it stopped down, but the query is legitimate in my view. If I bolt on the Noctilux for my next journey OT, do I need to carry another 50mm lens. Yes, the Nocti is heavy, but not as heavy as carrying it and a summicron. So I have been wondering the same thing as our previous caller. If I love using the Nocti in low light, but run across a situation where I want more of the effect of the less specialized 50, can I normalize the Nocti by stopping him down a peg or two, or is the lens always too contrasty to render pleasing images in less demanding lighting? Does using a ND filter as suggested, just slow the relative film speed down, or does it help normalize the lens? What ND filters would you sugg!
est? This lens is a great addition to my weaponry, allowing me to take images that others cannot manage. It, like my fisheye on the blad allows me to overcome a lack of talent by buying a differing style [to some degree ;-) ].
I am getting these vibes about the R series 15mm lens as well. If you want to send me bankrupt and divorced keep making comments about this lens, as I've spotted one second hand. It would cost me twice the fortune I paid for the Nocti @ about $4000. Is this a resonable price for this huge piece of glass? I would have to buy a back for it, but at that price, the camera would be the least of my worries ;-)

Cheers,

Alastair.