Subject: 21mm
From: Michael Hintlian <MichaelHintlian@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 06:30:09 -0500

Marc James Small writes:

<<We went 'round and 'round on this subject six months or a year back.  I=

believe it is safe to say that the discussion concluded that the majority=

shooting 21mm preferred the older JSK-derived lenses to the Elmarit.  In
any event, Leitz was never completely happy with the lens and have twiddl=
ed
a couple of times with its design.

Marc>>

Thanks for your reply...sorry if you are bored<g>.  Not sure what the
"round and round" was about but can tell you (again <big grin>) that they=

are both terrific lenses, both with minor flaws.  I own, love and use bot=
h.
 The S/A 21 falls apart close up at wider apertures...the 21 Elmarit does=

not.  The S/A prevents meter function on the M6 but is smaller, etc.  If
this is the back and forth you speak of...Ok.  What I'm talking about is
the 20X24" on the wall....I have pix from both of these lenses that sing.=
  =

So, to the original question, I find it hard to understand just what is
meant when you say the Elmarit was not a happy lens for Leica.  Could I
trouble you to be specific?

The very earliest 21 Elmarits were different than the current...is that t=
he
reformulation "twiddle" you speak of?

Michael