Subject: Re: 21mm
From: CapsTeeth@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 12:19:12 -0500 (EST)

I was all set to be blown away by the 21 S/A I acquired a short while ago.  I
shot a couple of rolls with it and wasn't at all impressed.  On any of the
wide-open shots, anything in the far right 1/4 of the frame from top to
bottom was out of focus, even if it was at the same distance as the rest of
the frame.  Evidently there was something wrong with this particular sample,
and fortunately I had the privilege of returning it within 14 days.  Given
that these lenses are anywhere from 17-34 years old I suppose the chance of
finding some for sale in less-than-perfect optical condition is rather
likely.  With the price of the S/A's running around $1400 and up I decided to
buy the new 21 ASPH and hope it's at least as good as everyone says the S/A
is supposed to be.

Doc