Subject: [Leica] 50mm Summicron Type 2
From: "C.M. Fortunko" <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 17:18:14 -0700

LUGs,

Like others on this forum, I also like the Type 2 50mm Summicron. I also
have a number of shots of my daughter next to a X-mas tree. This is a lovely
lens and I know what to expect from it, at least with Black and White. The
newer, Type 3 Summicron is probably better with slide film.

I know that Leica may be coming out with a ASPH version of the 50mm
Summicron. Don't sell your old Summicron until you are sure that the new one
has Bokeh.

Privately, I think that the lenses made in the M5/SL2 era are among the best
lenses ever made. I just like their mechanical finish and handling. IMHO,
images obtained with these lenses may not be as contrasty as the latest, but
they are smooth and have good out-of-focus characteristics.

By the way, I just came back from photographing trains at Rollins Pass. I
did not take my Type 2 50mm Summicron, because I was afraid of getting it
wet. Instead, I took my 2.8 Elmar, a more-modern lens, but one that appears
to have more contrast and, probably, less Bokeh.

Best of Light,

Chris