Subject: [Leica] B and T
From: leicas@isham-research.demon.co.uk (Phil Payne)
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 12:27:00 GMT

In message <"<D990823481020D70>D990823481020D70@mr2.bbc"@-SMF-> jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk (Jeremy Kime) writes:

>> Alf wrote:
>> B = "beliebig" (any time, opend as long as you press release button).
>> _Not_ "bulb". Bulb = 1/25 IIIf RD, 1/30 IIIf BD, dialer (?) at 2.<<<<<<<<<<<

> I've always thought that 'B' for bulb was baloney, thanks Alf for
> enlightening me on this one. It's great to have 20 years of suspicion
> confirmed. It's a wierd word though! I'm going to have trouble remembering
> it!

Don't bother.

B = Brief
T = Time

Check the shutter of any late 1800s camera.  I have a Kodak 127 'vest
pocket' camera made in 1913 that actually has the words engraved on it,
not just the letters.  Tiny camera, BTW - smaller than any Leica.

It also states '1/4 sec if gray, 1/2 sec if dull, 1 sec if v. dull'
and controls focus via the iris diaphragm with settings for things like
'Marine', 'Clouds' and 'Portrait'.

- --
 Phil Payne