Subject: [Leica] Ultimate sharpness for portraits???? YUCK
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 10:06:31 -0500

 In a message dated 97-11-30 22:46:47 EST,  Steve wrote:
<<
 The only problem with doing the diffusion after the shot is that the
 blacks are spread into the whites(clear neg/black is light source)
 instead of the whites being spread into the blacks. So instead of a
glow
 you get gloom.
 Steve

If you want to try something really scary, try using a Softar filter
under or over an enlarging lens.  It's really a unique effect.   Let's
just say that you have to keep the filter moving to get something
usable.

I think it's just a plain mistake to search for ultimate sharpness if
your main goal is portraiture.  Spending thousands of dollars on the
latest Leica lenses only to put diffusion filters on them to get
acceptable results seems a bit ludicrous to me.  I know, I know, I
know, the results are different and have a different look.  Most people
use their Leicas for other types of photography as well and some can
not bear the thought of using anything other than Leica.

Some clients gripe that my EOS 70-200L is too sharp for portraits.  I'm
certain that the Nikon Lenses aren't much softer if any.   So it seems
pointless to search for more sharpness when the lenses are already
sharp enough or too sharp.  Sure there are other issues like flare and
internal reflections,  I did some tests including light sources in the
image with my 50 1.4 FD at f/2  and the Summicron and I was was amazed
at the results from the Summicron.  I knew the FD lens had flare and
reflections as they were clearly visible in the finder.  But I rarely
include light sources in my photos, so it's kind of a mute point.

I like sharp pictures too, but when it comes to portraits, lets face
it, nobody really likes to see all of their flaws, let alone all their
pores.  Too many Leica-maniacs get stuck on resolution and are quick to
point out to the subject that you can see every detail, while the
subject is less than impressed, thinking yuck, do I really look like
that??????  Hasselblads are great cameras for portraiture too, I owned
one for 4 years, but many use a Softar I to keep from being able to
count nose hairs. Since it is very rare that anyone orders a print
larger than 8x10, it was just plain resolution overkill for me.
Besides that, I've got a 4x5 camera and am using the money from the
Hasselblad sales to buy M-EQ.

But then again, I've shot a couple thousand portraits.  So I have
different requirements than most on this list.

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador