Subject: [Leica] Cartier-Bresson did what?
From: Cary Conover <leicary@tdi.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 12:26:06 -0500

Ted Grant wrote:

"Is there anyone out there who can absolutely confirm he asked this "model"
to reenact the jump 50 times?  If the truth is he did, I almost don't want
to know as he becomes just like the rest of us instead of the brilliant
"Decisive Moment" photographer we admire for his quickness of trigger
finger."

Is it a FACT that he asked the guy to do jump many times. I am truly, truly
doubtful of him setting this up. But what do I know? Did anyone see that HCB
issue of American Photo? There's a picture in that issue (pg. 45) of printer George
Fevre's hands holding that negative. Looks like HCB was in a car or buggy or
something, shooting from afar. through a window. By looking at the stuff that
was cropped out (at least in every version of that photo I'd seen), it seems crazy
to think that it was set up. That is, wouldn't HCB have gotten much closer to fill
the frame as best he could if he did, in fact, have 50 chances at it?

Cary Conover
Monroe, Michigan