Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Cartier Bresson and the 6 exposures.
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 10:39:56 -0500

Eric wrote:

<< if you're talking about illustrations - fashion or food,
you're right. >>>>>

Eric,

Yes I meant in this situation and certainly not re-creating a news
situation. My description wasn't quite clear enough.

When I lived in Ottawa there was a young shooter who day after day kept
coming up with these great human interest pictures and other "news" type
photos. He was getting a great deal of admiration for his quickness of
finger and eye.

One day there was a road construction scene on the front page of workers
and in the foreground was one of the flashing yellow light markers they
surround the area being worked.

On the round light was a "Happy Face" drawn in the dust on the light. It's
was one of those you had to see it to really appreciate how good the shot
was.

Canadian Press called the Citizen photo department requesting a print to
put on the wire and when the print arrived there wasn't any "Happy Face!"

They called the Citizen, "You sent the wrong picture we want the one with
the Happy Face on the Light." And that's when it was discovered the
photographer had used spotting colour on the finished print drawing in the
Happy Face before he turned it in and nobody had noticed.

This triggered a check on what else he had been doing and it was discovered
he had been setting-up many of the "neat pictures" we had been admiring him
for. Including many of the "children doing things" where he had paid the
kids a buck to perform for his camera.

Then of course the captions were written to imply the photographer "had
caught the moment" of this child in action.

He was gone out of existance that day!

Like you, I do not condone for one second re-creating a situation and then
calling it reality!

ted