Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Cartier Bresson and the 6 exposures.
From: Harrison McClary <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 97 09:23:26 -0000

George Huczek wrote

>The famous Iwo Jima photo showing American soldiers raising the flag was a
>reenactment of a flag raising that had occurred previously.  It was set up.
> That photo recreated a moment in history, and has received tremendous
>acclaim for its symbolism.

It is my understanding Carl Mydans did not stage this photo for a photo
op as many would have you believe.  I understand they were replacing a
smaller flag with a larger flag and this is when the shot was made.
Unfortuantly many continue to spread the rumor that it is a "fake" photo.

Perhaps some who knows the full story would care to comment.

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto