Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Cartier Bresson and the 6 exposures.
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 17:22 +0000 (PST)

George Huczek  writes:

> The famous Iwo Jima photo showing American soldiers raising the
flag
> was a
> reenactment of a flag raising that had occurred previously.  It was
set
> up.
>  That photo recreated a moment in history, and has received
tremendous
> acclaim for its symbolism.
>    Re-creating a situation that actually took place is a form of
> editorializing.  It may not be an honest documentation of
newsworthy
> events, but unfortunately, it does happen.  I think that one has to
draw
> the line when the photographer manipulates the situation to produce
some
> "news event" which never took place.

I think you should check your facts before repeating this allegation.
I suggest you read the section in Harold Evans' book 'Pictures On A
Page' which deals with this (pages 145 to 148).

There you will find a complete explanation of the myth that the
picture was 'posed' or 'reenacted'. Once you've completed this task,
I hope you will apologise for your unwarranted attack on the
reputation of a brave and talented photojournalist.