Subject: Re: [Leica] Q: Are you using T400CN or Tri-X?
From: "Boreham" <boreham@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 20:39:00 -0000

I have tried a few rolls of T400CN, developing it myself. On the light box
the grain and sharpness look fantastic, but printing it is a problem. Even
though the negs look good I have to use grades 3.5 to 4.5 to get good
contrast prints. This range crosses the exposure time change in the filter
range, which is annoying. The results are still disappointing relative to
the negs.I think part of the problem is that the films base colour is about
the same as grade 0 filter and maybe the paper gets confused! There are so
many good reports that I haven't given up yet. I haven't tried giving any
to a D&P lab yet either; this was after all the point of changing the base
colour I understand.
Can't see what folks see in Tri-X either, except for using grain for
artistic effect. I seem to get on best with Fuji Neopan 400 and XP2. I
don't think XP2 is as low-grain as T400CN but I do find it easier to print.
By the way I am using Ilford multigrade filters, anyone think T400CN would
print better with Kodak filters?