Subject: [Leica] Permission to Photograph Property?
From: Colin <colinmi@fast.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 1997 02:20:58 -0600

Hello,

I'm considering a project photographing points of interest around the
county where I live.  This would include historic buildings that could
be places that are set up as museums as well as some that are private
residences.  Since these photos are possibly for publication I'm
wondering what the legal aspects of selling an image of someone's
property are.  In most cases I would think that asking permission to
photograph a person's house would at least be a courtesy, but is there
anything legal involved particularly if the shot is just taken from the
road?  Would something like a model release be in order?  These would
most likely end up in a book rather than a periodical, does that make a
difference?

I would probably be using a 5x7 camera and some Leicas.

Thanks,

Colin