Subject: [Leica] Re: Are you using T400CN or Tri-X?
From: "Garbutt, Robert" <RGarbutt@ncrpexec.telstra.com.au>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 07:38:00 +1000

>   <snip>  The results are still disappointing
>   relative to the negs.  I think part of the problem is that the films
>   base colour is about the same as grade 0 filter and maybe the
>   paper gets confused! There are so many good reports that I
>   haven't given up yet. I haven't tried giving any

My opinion is that these films (XP2/T400CN) have been created to be
printed in colour labs and generally give their best results using
colour printing.  To get similar results using B&W printing seems almost
impossible so I don't use them unless its for convenience (= I'm feeling
lazy) and want to use a minilab *or* I want the cloudy grain effect for
a particular purpose.  In any case colour printing is the way to go for
me.

I can also understand using these films if you don't have access to a
B&W darkroom, but other than that if you don't like grain I still think
the regular T-Max films or the Ilford Delta films are your best bet for
B&W printing.

Can anyone tell me what happens if you cross-process CN or XP2?

Regards,
Rob.