Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: soft focus vs out -of- focus in an ultimate sha
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 08:48:43 -0700

On  3 Dec 97,  Patrick G. Sobalvarro wrote:

> Actually, the f/64 guys (Weston, Adams, Van Dyke, and their followers,
> who in rebelling against pictorialism formed the f/64 school) don't
> know anything very well.  They're dead.  But even when they were
> alive, they couldn't have known very much about diffraction, or they
> wouldn't have been under the impression that the name "f/64" would
> connote ultimate sharpness.

<snip>

Yeah, watch those verb tenses, Eric.

Actually, the f/64 gang may not have been thinking as much about
sharpness as DOF. Have a look at my new and very elementary
web site at:

http://www.primenet.com/~beamon

I've linked to the f/64 Group Manifesto, the forward of which mentions
this.

No photos yet as I have no scanner. Just trying to get conversant with
HTML. Boy, what a job for an OF! (That's "old fellow", guys and gals!)
No wonder I gave up on Basic, Fortran, C, Perl etc. And, HTML is easy
by comparison.
- --
Roger Beamon
       Naturalist & Photographer