Subject: Re: [Leica] Lenses for B/W or Color
From: "Robert Sims" <rhsims@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 14:28:55 -0800

Erwin --

I ordered a 24XXxxx 50/2 from the dealer rather than a 30XXxxx 50/2.  The
prices are roughly equivalent.  Any reason to swap to the newer used model?

Regarding sharpness v. resolving power.  "Sharpness" may have been my word
- -- the dealer may have used "resolving power."  Do the older lenses
generally have higher resolving power compared to newer lenses?  I gather
that new lenses have higher contrast, which I always thought was good for
B/W.

Thanks & pardon my ignorance.

Rob

- ----------
> From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
> To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Lenses for B/W or Color
> Date: Friday, December 05, 1997 1:53 PM
>
> >I just became a Leica owner and joined this list when I bought an M6 and
> >the new 35/2 Asph.  Since the 35/2 Asph is back ordered for 6-8 weeks I
> >decided to get a used 50/2 so I can use the camera.  In the course of
> >finding the used lens, I had a discussion with a used Leica dealer who
> >indicated that older 50/2 lenses, ser. 24XXxxx were better suited (he
used
> >the word optimized) to B/W than somewhat newer 50/2 lenses, say ser.
> >30XXxxx and above, that were better suited to color.  He also said that
the
> >older lenses were sharper while newer lenses had higher contrast.  These
> >differences accounted for his B/W and color film distinction.
> >
> >Since I shoot mostly B/W, if he is correct, I can cancel the back
ordered
> >35/2 Asph, buy a used 35/2 of the appropriate vintage and save money.
If