Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens construction
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 1997 11:16:56 -0500

At 12:34 AM 12/6/97 EST, you wrote:
>I was comparing a current M-50/2 (w. pull-out hood) and a 35/2 ASPH to
>early-1970's versions and noted that I couldn't find any setscrews or
>retaining-rings on the current versions (although current 90/2 and the new 21
>ASPH do have them evident) except for the ones affixing the rear
lensmount.  I
>remember someone of some authority saying that some of the newer lenses are
>held together with cement, and that they tend to come loose with use.  In the
>dental field we use some phenomenal cements and resin-bonding materials which
>withstand extreme forces and a humid environment as well if not better than
>mechanical fasteners, but I would like to inquire if any users out there have
>experienced problems with newer lenses coming loose?
>
>Doc

Doc,

My 35 Summicron (version just before the Asph) has a loose front section
just in front of the aperture ring. Probably because I rely too much on
using the lensshade to bayonet the lens on and off. I'm told that it's a
simple matter of re-gluing it and that I should discontinue my bad
practices. Oh well...

Carl S.
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
Francois Villon.