Subject: Re: [Leica] diffraction limited lens: the theory
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 23:35:43 +0100

>However, the 180 f3.4 is incredible; both the sharpness & contrast increase
>from f3.4 to f8.  Therefore, either the 180 APO Telyt is not a "diffraction
>limited lens" or the
>BAS testing is not comprehensive enough. However, maybe it's meaningless to
>discuss a lens which is so good that it defies all attempts at
>categorization :~)!

Hello Tom.
I have used the  3,4/180 for a long time and since then am in great awe of
its performance. The BAS test, as you suggested,  is not capable (because
of its design and inherent limitations) to test the very fine performance
differences within and between Leica lenses. To do justice to any Leica
lens, you need to appreciate its inner characteristics and understand the
goals of its designers. And most of all (yes I am still an analytical
thinker) you must develop a feeling for that most elusive of concepts:
beauty: there is plain beauty insome  optical designs and their
representation of reality. No MTF grating can convey that feeling.
Leica lenses quite often fall in this catagory.
Erwin