Subject: Re: [Leica] filters for M-lenses
From: newport_m@utpb.edu (Mark Newport)
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 97 12:15:48 -0800

>I would like to buy UV-filters for my M 50/2 and M 28/2.8 lensens.
>I am still hesitating to buy the "Leica" filters. Maybe there is a less
>expensive alternative with equal quality or am I wrong?
>Who can give me some good advice on this subject?
>Thanks!
>
>Julius

I used Leitz UVa filters years ago but I got some (two out five bought at
the same time) that the little flat springs would slip out the bottom edge
and get hooked in the front retaining ring of the lens.  Once I thought I
would have to break a filter glass to take one filter off my 35/2.0.  When
they were off I replaced them w/ B+W (Lt. Yellow for black and white)
filters and have had no problems since.  I think Leica makes quality
filters but I don't believe they are better than B+W's.  I heard someplace
that Tiffens have plasticizers in the glass but that is probably untrue.
I'd spend the money and get a really good filter (Leica/B+W) for your Leica
glass.

Mark