Subject: Re: Re[2]: [Leica] basic questions
From: "Art Searle" <w2nra@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 09:37:50 -0500

HI Jim,

>Color neg film does better with some over exposure. Thick negs print better
>than thin negs. Grain is better. Contrast is better. So shooting ISO 400 at
>1/250 @ f/16 (sunny almost 16) is, at least for me, actually preferred. Try
>it. You will like it.

I find that if you overexpose color neg film where the sky is in the frame
you chance getting washed out white skies.  I always monitor the meter
reading of any shots with sky and never exceed the "sunny 16" EV with
post-dawn and pre-sunset the exception.  I don't like washed out skies.
I'll accept less shadow detail for deep blue skies.  Also if you slightly
overexpose your negatives you might get blue skies but you'll have to depend
on the lab you use to give them to you.  My lab ain't that good.  You know
of any that are?

Incidentally it has been my experience that if you take a meter reading on
the north midday sky on a haze free day, you will get "sunny  16".  Bring
the camera down to half sky and you'll get your slight overexposure, give or
take 1/3 stop.

Art