Subject: [Leica] ok, ok now
From: Francesco Sanfilippo <fls@home.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 08:31:23 -0800

Guys and gals:

Can we stop the Vietnam thread now please?  It's been long enough now and
it
has nothing to do with Leica at this point.  Half of the last digest was
this Vietnam
crap, with not even a reference to Leica.  Come on........

Instead, can someone please help me with the truly photographic questions I
had a few days ago?

I have a new chrome R8, 1.4/35, and 1.4/80, and I would like 1-2 more
lenses
to supplement the kind of work I do (model photography, swimwear, lingerie,
nude)
AND to be useful on a trip I am taking in January for 3 weeks to Bali,
Bangkok, and
Hong Kong.  Would you recommend more a 19mm, a 50mm, or a 180mm?  The 19
would be nice for the trip, but it would be on the shelf as soon as I got
back, because
I do not use that wide of a lens for models.  The 50 is a good idea, but is
it necessary if I have a 35 and 80 already?  I think the 180 is the best
idea.....I can use it on the trip, and for work too.  Which would you
recommend, the 2.8 or the 3.4?  I'd get the 2.0 if it was not so BIG and
HEAVY.

Has anyone found any flaws with the 35 1.4 and the 80 1.4 at close
distances, under 3 meters?  I have read that the 80 does not do well under
1.5m, and needs to be stopped down the f/5.6 or even f/8 for good
performance, while the same article said the 35 does well at any aperture
and any distance, claiming it is Leica's best 1.4 R lens.  Any comments
from the LUGgers?