Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Buying abroad (prices & warranties)
From: Claes Bjerner <claes.bjerner@pi.se>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 97 09:32:55 -0000

Marvin Moss wrote:

> Japan is a different situation all together.
> There seems to be a group that is buying from Leica, at factory prices
> (not wholesale but factory cost) they are unethically skipping the cost
> mark-up of the distributor and therefore can sell for less than wholsale.
> Sooner or later they will be caught by Solms & the practice will stop.

Marvin, please forgive me, but I fail to see what is unethical about =
selling for less than wholesale? I take it you are a dealer yourself, =
but please remember that the Japanese dealers just follow what to =
them seem like good business practice. What=B4s wrong in buying and =
selling cheap? I well understand the Leica desire too keep up the =
prices and image of their products as beeing exclusive, but the =
Japanese dealers just follow an old tradition that eventually benefit =
their customers. It=B4s called COMPETITION! And they still make quite =
a profit for themselves.

You make your Japanese counterparts sound like extremely immoral and =
ruthless, but I=B4ll tell you that I=B4ve never met such knowledgeble =
salespeople anywhere else around the world. It=B4s really a pleasure =
talking Leica with them. They know absolutely averything about =
anything Leica! And they are, as you vell know, also avid collectors. =
In other words, they are dedicated and always want to give their =
customers the very best deal.

> My advice would be to avoid the
> so called "grey market"  and if you can't afford to pay the complete
> service Leica price, don't buy it, as service  (as bad as it seemtimes
> appears)  is an inherent part of the Leica mystique.

I for one will certainly continue to look for the best deal I can =
find, whatever I=B4m looking for. And Leica quality is exactly the =
same wherever - or for how much - you buy it! I always find it =
amusing when an American salesman right after having told me about =
how well made and undestructable his merchandise is start bragging =
about his cover-all warranties! Why not compete with low prices =
rather than trying to con your customers?

Claes