Subject: Re: [Leica] Filters
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 10:25:49 -0800

At 11:36 AM 12/13/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Jim Brick has argued persuasively and at length against the use of any
>filters.  But, Jim, HOW are we supposed to do colour conversion work
>WITHOUT filters?  Its not too great a problem with colour negative
>emulsions, as we can correct in the darkroom, but what about chromes?
>
>Marc

Hi Marc,

Well, as I've said many times, I use filters almost all of the time. I DO
NOT, however, use a filter when it is not warranted. I do not use a filter
when... shooting into the sun, shooting at night, sunset, sunrise, unless
the sun is gone and I want to enhance the effect (color grad), close-ups
(pebbles, leaves, branches, etc) unless a polarizer will help remove the
blue reflection of the sky.

My entire point, that I've been arguing, is that, unless you have a
functional (photographically functional) purpose for using a filter, you
are better off not using one. This is basically aimed at those who insist
that they need a UV "protection" filter and that a filter does not degrade
an image.

So, I work like hell to make sure that when I do use a filter, it's not
going to contribute that "little bit more degradation" so that I get an
inferior product (photograph).

But I've also said, "to each his own".

I do indeed spout "no filter" but in the vein of use it only when
necessary. But I do indeed, for landscapes and regional stuff, almost
always use a polarizer or KR3 warming filter, of course depending upon the
subject, light direction, etc.

So use filters as filters. And lens caps as protectors.

Jim