Subject: Re: [Leica] New Leica user questions: MR, quick film load, 90/2.8
From: WILLIAM CALDWELL <sneeker@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 22:06:09 -0500

Snip --
> I'm a new Leica user--M3 w/50/2- and wonder if any of the "old-hand"
> Leica users out there could give me their thoughts on the following:
>
> - Is the MR meter a useable item?
> - Is it worth the $40 to upgrade the camera to the rapid-load film system?
> - What's the best buy in a 90/2.8.  I understand some had a glue problem?

Snip --

Rick, the MR meter is a very usable item, mine is still on the money
when I check it against the readings that my M6 gives.  You may desire
to have a return privilege if your repair person cannot calibrate the
particular meter you just purchased.

If you need to load a film cassette fast in your shooting, yes, the M4
film loading system is the way to go.  Forty dollars seems a very
reasonable amount for the conversion.  Personally, I prefer the M3
take-up, but I like originality, and the film locking security the M3
offers.

As to the the Tele-Elmarit 2.8/90, my lens is serial no. 2342XXX, and it
has no fall-off in lens clarity due to glue degradation.  Others will
have to give you their experience with other 2.8/90 lens of earlier or
later runs.

You have a great Leica start in the M3 and f/2/50 Summicron.

Bill Caldwell