Subject: [Leica] LUG and Rollei
From: FortunkoC <FortunkoC@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 11:29:48 EST

Rolleinuts and LUGs,

Bill Larsen whom I do not know wrote: "Cheap shots about people's
relationships seems to be the standard for the Leica Users Group (LUG), but
I did not realize that the Rollei TLR group had cross subscriptions.

All I want to do is to learn more about photography and how to use my 'cord
to show people how to get different perspectives to gain a "photographer's
eye."

I hope that the rest of the LUG clique is not dominant in this group."

Bill,

I don't like your cross subscription comment. I find that the two camera
systems are totally different and one should probably use both 35mm and MF to
keep things in perspective. This is why I subscribe to both lists.

In fact, it would not be a bad idea to encourage more cross pollination
between the two groups. The Leica group seems to be too worried about how to
leap infinite discontinuities in a single bound. Translation: there is too
much concern about lens performance, etc. On the other hand, there does not
seem to be too much discussion about photography on either group. Yet, the two
systems are really different and offer not-overlaping possibilities. Yet, the
M3 with a Summicron weighs as much as a 3.5F Rolleiflex, but cannot deliver
technically-equal image quality.

My experiences LUGGING the Rollei SL66 have tought me to appreciate the RF
35mm camera. Yet, they also brought home that camera's limitations.

So, I suggest that we return to photography and how it is impacted by design
philosophies of the two different manufacturer's. Let's face it, we are all
dinosaurs. The brave new world will be using digital cameras and images will
be easily sent through Internet. We cannot easily do this now and this may be
our problem.

Best of Light,

Chris