Subject: Re: [Leica] Tina in Greece
From: omegaman@shentel.net
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 15:09:54 -0500

Alexander Tsiris wrote:

> Alfred Breull wrote:
>
> > All in all I agree to your friends (and your) descriptions. It's different
> > in the small
> > islands - there are more people, since they are living there and they are
> > too poor to go
> > back to Athens. In general, the Greeks are very warm-hearted ... I was
> > invited into their
> > houses several times, and took a lot of pictures inside. Maybe, it's not so
> > bad, to visit
> > Chalki also, although it became one of the UNO's "world's peace islands" 15
> > y ago, and
> > a lot of Greek US citizens spent their money in new hotels close to the
> > harbour. On the
> > other side, they refreshed the old houses (within the 250 people village)
> > also ... If
> > you go there, be careful with fresh water, at least if you don't like
> > diarrhoe: It comes
> > from a basin (Zisterne ?) near the mountain monastery, and caries unfriedly
> > guests
> > sometimes :)
> >
> > The food ship for Chalki leaves Rhodos (middle) at 14 h local time :)
> >
> > Unfortunately the Greeks and Turks are (military) enemies, which is not
> > better since
> > the last EU debacle (sp ?) 2 days ago. Both sides get rather upset, if you
> > mention
> > the other nation, and if you have bad luck, you run into serious troubles ...
> >
> > Alf
> >

> Hello. I am in Athens, and if you need any help on finding good photo spots,
> e-mail me and I'll tell you. There are some amazing locations that few people
> know about, and are worth going to. I am now working on a photo book on
> discovering Greece.
>
> Regards.
I was in Rhodes two weeks ago.  Many of the shops were still open as
well as restaurants.  The weather was pleasant and the absence of
tourists will be an advantage.  Good shots of the narrow streets in the
old town can be made with or without people.  There ancient Greek ruins
above Rhodes town and bigger ones down at Lindos (SW end of island).  I
got some decent shots of men playing backgammon in front of a restaurant
in the old town.  These guys were there every night.  Turkey offers some
better opportunities - good people shots around Antalya.  There is
supposed to be a run of malaria nearby - nothing of it so far in
Antalya.  Old town back streets pretty much like Rhodes.