Subject: Re: [Leica] Winogrand/blind shooting
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 16:19:36 -0600

At 08:47 AM 17/12/97 -0500, you wrote:
>You know, I hate to bring this up but I saw a program on PBS years ago that
>featured several photographers. One of them was Winogrand. The camera
>followed him on the street and I swear he shot at least a couple of frames
>from chest or shoulder level.

Perhaps his "technique" accounts for the large number of lousy photos he
takes.  Seriously.  You can look through hundreds of his contact sheets and
not find anything at all worthwhile.  He was further affected when he began
using a motorized camera.  He would fire away aimlessly at anything without
really thinking about what the final image would be like.  There are
hundreds of rolls of photos with nothing on them at all.  His "technique",
if you could call it that, seems to mock anything that has any technique or
sense of artistic composition.  Some are not impressed at all ...

- -GH