Subject: Re: [Leica] Winogrand/blind shooting
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 02:48:12 -0500

Tom wrote:

<<<I was shooting portraits of some very up tight people. I set up, stepped
back, and while talking to them, and looking at them eye to eye, I made my
exposures with a cable release. They were relaxed. The film looks great. So
ha!>>>>>

Tom, Tom, my good man, :)

We are talking about completely different things here.

One, you are shooting portarits and the camera is on a tripod which you
have "set-up the shot before hand" and of course that's the way to do it,
no arguement nor making fun of of that. Yes, long cble release and talking
to the folks and clicking and they have no idea when you are shooting
because you aren't looking through the camera lens. Quite an appropriate
manner of shooting portraits

What is being missed by a few folks is this nonsense of having the camera
around your neck and walking or waiting for someone or something to cross
your camera lens path and then squeeze the shutter release without any idea
of what is going on the film. The other one is the nonchalant look like
you're not paying any attention and clicking away without hardly looking in
the direction the camera is pointing.

My point is, "If you are a, for a better name, "street photographer" and do
this without looking through the camera while focusing and composing and
then taking "sneaky images" illustrates you are no photographer at all, but
merely a pointy shootie with a wide angle lens stopped down to
f 22. It also illustrates the photgrapher dosen't have the balls to put the
camera to his eye and take the picture!

Hopefully I'm getting through here. :)

ted