Subject: Re: [Leica] 90mm lens comparisons
From: CapsTeeth <CapsTeeth@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 13:38:56 EST

I have a current 90/2 and a mid-70's 90/2.8 and at f/5.6 there's no
discernable diffrerence between them, sharpness-wise (contrast is another
issue); I've used a current 90/2.8 and ditto.  If the lens isn't visibly
cloudy inside, before I'd spend the money to send it (or the camera) off for
repair, I would shoot some test frames with the camera on a solid tripod, at
various apertures.  Pick a flat target (like a poster on a wall) and make sure
the camera back is parallel to the wall on all axes. If you still notice any
softness, aside from a very slight bit in the corners at f/2, then perhaps
there is a repair problem.  Otherwise, what you've been seeing may be
attributable to the shallower DOF and greater susceptibility to camera-shake
of a 90mm lens (particularly a heavy one such as the Summicron).

Doc