Subject: Re: [Leica] Point and shoot non-argument.
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 03:12:52

At 02:50 20/12/97 +0100, you wrote:
>If it's that argument: I use my Leica IIIa with the Summitar.
>It's under my jacket, left arm (because left eye dominance),
>lens collapsed. Light/ exposure is estimated by experience
>(slides: 80 to 90% correct). If I don't need to react rather
>quick, and the situation is anticipated as not dangerous,
>I use the SWC (also under jacket, left side).

It isn't an argument. Possibly I didn't express myself well. I'm not trying
to convert anyone to my way of thinking- I don't need to. I'm explaining my
own priorities and the reasons *I* have for sometimes taking a Minilux or
similar camera instead of a manual camera. I find the speed of operation of
a Minilux is not comparable with a screw Leica, however nice such a camera
is in other ways. I find a camera such as the Minilux works very well for
*me* in some situations. It's an individual thing. If someone doesn't like
that sort of camera, I'm certainly not trying to persuade them to! It would
be none of my concern; people should use the equipment they like. As I
said- it isn't an argument; it's an explanation of the appeal that these
cameras have for *some* people, myself included. Incidentally, I got a
wonderful slide back today taken after dark in central London, when my
friends vehicle in which I was travelling was caught in traffic for just a
couple of seconds. I got a shot of multicoloured street illuminations
reflected off the front window of a coach. I'm really pleased with that
shot. One of the most striking pictures I got this year. I wouldn't have
got that shot if I'd been using my M6, which I had with me also. I got that
shot with a handheld Minilux, on Kodak ET 320 pushed one stop. Works for me.

Joe Berenbaum