Subject: Re: [Leica] Point and shoot survey.
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 20:06:27 -0800

I have two Yashica T1's, the original P&S with the Zeiss lens. One is
missing the top plate that slides over the shutter button, and I bought it
two years ago for $25. That means I can tote around an honest to goodness
Zeiss lens and not worry one bit. It takes excellent photos with one
drawback - the zones of focus seem rather coarse.

Also, it sometimes focuses on some little highlight way in the background.
I have learned to pre-focus more carefully on my subject while holding the
shutter down slightly, then compose the shot with focus locked in.
Occasionally, I even focus on something slightly in front of the subject
(are you applauding, Jim?), then compose and shoot, taking advantage of
depth-of-field.

I've heard the T4 has a finer focus. For the money (only around $150 new),
I believe the Yashica T is one of the best *values* around for optics.

Gary