Subject: Re: [Leica] Winogrand/blind shooting
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 23:23:55 -0500

Eric wrote:

<<<<<Some times you just have to wait them out, and they are distracted,
they start being spontaneous. That's when you can get those wonderful slice
of life pictures.>>>>>>

Eric me lad,

You let the secret out! :)  The secret of capturing those intimate and
moving "Slice of life photographs!" :)

Waiting and watching until your subject is involved mentally and physically
and they will not pay attention to you and your M6 or whatever Leica.!!!!!!

And with a Leica from 2 feet away under the right circumstances you can
have magnificent pictures as though you were completely invisible!!!!! :)

But then to each his own. As I've had pointed out to me how one takes their
pictures is their own technique and none the less a photograph whether with
camera at eye or hanging loosely at one's side.

OK !!!!!!!  I guess that's cool if that's the way they want to take their
pictures. So be it.

Personally, I prefer photographing people with the camera to my eye and
have done so from one end of the world to the other and in most cases I
have been able to capture countless numbers of frames by seeing and placing
the camera to my eye, quickly making any adjustments and still capturing
the "moment of the action" without annoying people.  And in doing so in
some cases, from a very few feet away.

I guess one thing that hasn't been mentioned here is, "How do the great
news photographers of the wire services capture those "more than intimate
moments" of the life and death struggles we see daily in our news papers
and magazines?

Let me assure you, they don't go around pussy footing it with the camera
hanging around their necks like tourists and taking sneaky pictures!!!!!
And I'm not talking paparazzi!

Sorry folks I'm getting out of hand again, as I find this a very touchy
technique topic and challenges the way many of us have worked in
documenting life in our own and foreign countries.  Some of us have been
able to do it without the sneaky pointie-shootie method described by some
who still don't have the fortitude to face their subjects eye to eye in the
Leica viewfinder!

ted