Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanner Info Needed for holiday gift.
From: COLBYG@ULV.EDU
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 21:29:18 -0700 (PDT)

Tom:

	Thanks for the post...

> I'm using my LS-1000 with photoshop 4 on a Starmax with system 8, no
> problems at all. It runs exactly as it did with system 7.xx. System 8 is
> steady and worth the upgrade.

	System 8 seems to be slow in the finder, but everything else runs good
for us on the prototype machine in our lab. We'll probably upgrade at the end
of the term...

> Leica note. I haven't found that the LS 1000 is all that great for B&W
> negs, without a lot of Gamma tweaking, unless they are Leica negs. No kidding.

	That's interesting. We've had good luck with black and white negatives,
mostly TMax 400 through every kind of camera and lens combination *except*
Leica. Some look good, some look like h___. What occurs to me after several
years of deadlines with high-contrast, low-contrast, underexposed, overexposed,
overdeveloped, underdeveloped, stained and battered negatives is...
	...it's pretty much the same as projection printing. If it's a good
negative it'll make a good print (scan). I'm not presently a Leica user, but
I'm screwing up my courage to raid the coffee can for ante. It'll be exciting
to pitch the Leica glass against my Nikon 85's and 105's.

- -Gary

Gary S. Colby
University of La Verne
La Verne, California