Subject: Re: Re:[Leica] More blind shooting discussion
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 02:47:19 +0100

Of course, Adi:

The thread, which has already covered different "legal" situations
of "blind shooting" (under threat for life; during portrait session),
showed two aspects which were discussed controverse: (a) shooting
blind (no matter what) and declaring it as art, and (b) shooting
of people which you don't get otherwise (but do not fall into the
catagories of danger or portrait session). It's at least what I
understood.

The danger aspect was covered by Ted, the portrait aspect by Eric
(and both by others also).

The art example was (also) touched by Ted (if I remember correct),
saying that he couldn't agree with that kind of ethics, which sacrifies
each matter as long as it brings money. I agreed to both Ted's
statements, and I like to point at (the painter) Georg Baselitz
in this context also, whose stuff was bought by the Museum of
Modern Art recently (several mio $$$):

Georg Baselitz was a low to middle class German painter, who didn't sell
any paintings. People & critics ignored him, because his pix were
too bad. One day he hung his pix upside down, and critics saw a new
source of income. Result: Baselitz is art professor now, and rather
well-heeled. Unfortunately, his pix are still bad.

The other aspect, taking pix of people you don't get otherwise, is
the aspect on which I replied now (also): I know that it's difficulty
to take pix of unknown persons, specially when you're emotionally
involved. As long as you take them for yourself (maybe because you don't
dare to ask because of the charm and beauty of certain person) it's
close to puberty -  but I don't say anything against it. But, as soon
as you publish the pix (even if it's just showing to friends), I feel
it as dishonest, specially if you didn't care for a permission. You
exploit the subject, and have an advatage on her/his costs.

In general, I cannot agree on standpoints which sacrifies the aim,
no matter of the way, as said in the mail on which I replied. Opposite,
most of the times the way is more important (for yourself also), than
the aim (i.e. $$$ of an editor, galerie, etc.). I feel it as rather
important, that you can still look into the mirror next day ...

That's what I said ... well, at least, what I wanted to say :)

Alf