Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica/Nikon archives
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 20:44:39

At 20:01 22/12/97 +0100, you wrote:
>But how do I know the title of the archive?
>I got a huge list with only codes but nothing tells me whether it's Nikon
>or>Practika...(sic..)!

They don't have titles. You can't tell what is in each file until you look
at it. But the LUG archive is only the digests from the Leica Users Group.
The Nikon Digest is somewhere else entirely, although Nikon and other makes
are mentioned in the LUG from time to time. If you want the quick(?) way to
find something, you can send the command to download a whole lot of digests
all at once in one email message, like this;

get v02.n001
get v02.n002
get v02.n003

and so on, even for a large number of files at once.

One evening I sent off for the entire archive of the LUG in batches of 100
digests at a time, and then used Eudora to search for the string that would
identify the article I was looking for. I eventually found what I wanted.
So if you search for something in particular like "Noctilux" it will find
every mention of it for you. That, I think, is the best that you can do
unless of course you want to read it all...

Joe Berenbaum