Subject: Re: [Leica] New Noctilux
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 13:06:18 -0600

At 03:19 PM 12/22/97 +0900, you wrote:

>Used to be the sole fastest commercially available 35mm lens in the
>world - but remains as the fastest
>     modern lens in the rangefinder camera system. First model appearing
>in 1976. Current version
>     Noctilux-M. New glasses enabled the Notilux to be re-computed to
>give outstanding maximum aperture
>     of f1 and also dispense with aspherical surfaces - thus making the
>manufacturing process simpler. The new

There is your clue. This person is referring to the pre-1976 Noctilux which
was the 1.2 Noctilux that had an aspherical surface. Since '76, there has
been no optical change when it was updated to f/1.0 or about 1/2 stop
faster. I was talking about the current faster model, as your question
implied. The 1.2 Noctilux is quite a bit older than '76. I've played with
Alfred Eisenstadt's 1.2 Noctilux that he donated to the University of
Missouri-Columbia School of Journalism's photojournalism program. Much
smaller, and very nice. But I'd rather have the 1.0 lens for the extra speed.

>     The Aspherical lens surface tackles common spherical coma in low
>light photography, thus, bright spots of
>     light source will be rendered more natural in eventual images.

Talk about contradictions, it's NOT an aspherical lens.

>     It is expensive - just like any other Leica lenses. But first rated
>mechanical construction, optical
>     performance and couple with rangefinder's strongest element -
>bright frameline for easy focusing, does
>     attract some followers and for those demanding photographers who
>often works in low natural light
>     condition.

How does bright framelines make focusing easy, or the strongest element?
It's the rangefinder base that makes it more accurate that counts, no?
Otherwise, a 1.0 lens is not terribly useful if focusing accuracy is not
optimal.

This person needs to get some help to write this more clearly. His
enthusiasm shows, but doesn't help the Leica cause to pass on inaccuracies.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

One should never generalize.