Subject: [Leica] FS: R8 and lenses - Sob!!
From: n5xrd@juno.com (Richard W. Hemingway)
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 16:14:03 CST

LUGS,

With apologies to Ted, Jim and Eric, I have decided to sell my R8 and R
lenses.  I have been wrestling with this for several months, since coming
back from our 50th anniversary trip.  It really hurts to do this as to me
 the R8 is the greatest SLR I have ever used (I have owned all Nikon F's
except the F5 and the N50 and N90s - also Miranda and they don't count) )
Why sell?? Good question.  Three main reasons, none of which have to do
with the quality of the equipment:

	(a)  Weight.  At 70 I find the weight of the M and R equipment -
M6 24, 35, R8, 35, 50 and 90), or in the case of our anniversary trip,
R4, R8, 24, 35, 50, 90 and 180 lenses, a little more weight than I can
bear without a stiff neck etc. The weight is becoming objectionable.

	(b) Eyesight.  I find that I have been having focusing problems
with the SLRs as I get older.  My right eye gives me the most trouble,
but at times - like low light - I just can't focus very good with either
eye.  I don't have a problem with the M6, even in the lowest light.  I am
getting tired fighting it.  At the early Christmas get together with our
kids in Dallas last weekend I had problems and don't know if any of the R
pictures are in focus, even though it has the brightest viewfinder I have
used on a SLR camera.

	(c) Film.  I like to use both Kodachrome 25 or 64 and 200 in two
camera bodies.  I did this on our trip with the R4 and R8.  But I yearned
for my M camera and sold off the R4 and couple of lenses to get a new M6,
silver chrome, 24/2.8 ASPH and 35/2.0.  I have left the R8 and 35/2.0,
50./2.0 and 90/2.8 lenses.  To carry the R8 and M6 with the two M lenses
and the R8 with the35/2.0 and 90/2.8 R lenses - is not only heavy but
redundant.  I'm not going to give up the M - so the only thing is to sell
or trade the R stuff. SOB, again!

	This is what I have for sale (or trade) and suggested prices:

	(1) R8, Black, # 2413102, Passport warranty, purchased 7/97.  $
1650

	It is in mint condition and has no more than 15 rolls of film
through it.  The PP warranty is not transferrable, unless someone has
some pull with Leica so that they would honor it.

	(2) 35/2.0 Summicron #3069693 - some  marks and nicks, perfect
glass and very  sharp.
                                 	    $  600

	(3) 50/2.0  Summicron #2865056 - mint-
                $  275

	(4) 90/2.9  Elmarit  #3345044 - mint-
                       $  600

	(5) Elpro3 #316543 like new  - for 90/2.8
                     $  125
	(6) Heliopan Circular polarizer ES55 (fits all three lenses)

                         like new
      $    90

 	(7) Metz SCA adapter 3501
                                $   70

	(8) Leitz Uva filter E55 # 13373, fits all above lenses
                $   55

	(9) Leita Uva filter E60 # 13381.
                                $  60

What I want to get:

	(1) M6 late body, chrome if possible.

	(2) 90/2.8 Elmarit-M lens, m to m-

	(3) 50/2.0 Summicron lens, m to m-

If interested, e-mail me privately at: n5xrd@juno.com

Anyway, a Merry Christmas and happy holiday season to all the LUGS - a
second family!

Dick Hemingway
Norman, OK