Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V2 #55
From: Max Lau <sklau@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 23:00:38 -0800

> From: Kott Jonathan N <kottjn@plu.edu>
> Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 20:24:24 -0800 (PST)
> Subject: [Leica] China
>
> Hi There. My name is Jonathan Kott and I have been on the list for a short
> while. I will be taking my M6 to China for nine months begining in
> January. I was wondering if anyone had any pointers for photography and
> film handling in this area. I will stay mostly in Chengdu, but will visit
> Hong Kong and many other areas. Is there Kodachrome developing available
> in Hong Kong? What about prices of new m lenses, are they cheaper in Hong
> Kong than in the USA?
>                                         Many Thanks.

Yes,you certainly can develop Kodachrome in HK. They used to send the
film to Australia to develop - back and forth it took more or less a
whole week. These days I heard it's much faster, which means they may
have processing facilities nearby now.
Leica lenses are cheaper in HK, but not by much compared to some NY mail
order houses if you go through authorized dealers. At least, there's no
sales tax,but they may discriminate against credit cards(extra 3%). You
can go to Schmidt & Co.to pick up a list of all the authorized dealers
in HK and starts from there.
Camera shops are everywhere, but Leica outlets are concentrated in a few
areas. Try the Central District on HK Is. Forget what the name of the
street - sth.like Stanley St., where you'll find more than a few such
stores. Grey market products probably outnumber warrantied wares by N to
1, so be extra alert. Best to shop with a local.
If you're looking for used equip., remember, HK has very high humidity
in the spring and summer. Look out for fungus, and check all the
electronics functions. For all their optical and mechanical reputation,
sealing their circuit boards is not top priority at Solms!

Max