Subject: Re: [Leica] Off Subject-HP PhotoSmart Photo Scanner
From: John Cooper <john@fireship.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 13:31:28 +0000

> From:          BenTroGa <BenTroGa@aol.com>
> I have been using the HP scanner for several months, now, and I love
> it.

Same here and I agree,

> Up to 5x7 prints the quality is outstanding.  8x10 it starts to
> become obvious that the prints were now from Kodak.
>
> Printing is at 300dpi, so even tho' slides and negs are scanned at
> 2400, the final print is at the lower resolution.

Eh? if a neg is 1" long at 2400 dpi an 8" print at 300dpi is = 2400
dots. therefore resolution is preserved, lets not get into printer
types and resolutions though, suffice to say the printer is probably
the limiting thing here, on the screen they look wonderful. Slides
are more of a problem though as shadow detail is a struggle, I'm
using colour negs at present, you can always create b/w!

> The Microsoft "Picture It" software provided is very, very user
> friendly, easy to work with, and quite flexible.

Ugh! The photosmart software is a little crippled (ie no stored
settings etc) you really need photoshop or something similar to do
the job properly.

> By the way, your creative juices can be expressed thru manipulation
> of the final image with this software.

Yes, thats really good, didnt want that building in the
background...its gone!

Bottom line the HP is not perfect but its good value for money.

John Cooper  <http://www.fireship.demon.co.uk>