Subject: Re: [Leica] R4 question.
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 08:19:16 -0800

Dan Post wrote:

> I got a sneakin' suspicion, as they say around here, that the R8
> Motor/Winder will have some surprises. Intervalometer? Auto rewind? WHo
> knows? The Elves of Solms may have a couple of tricks up their well tailored
> sleeves.

Dan,
My vote is for simple and quiet and fast and modest battery drain.  With
a vertical release button on both winder and drive.  Would like ability
to do 6-8 frames a sec.  Faster would improve their potential market,
though maybe not by much--the sports shooters are still adicteded to
AF.  The intervalometer would be best external--too seldom needed to be
worth the the complication, for me.  Auto rewind is a pain unless
selectable.  Sometimes I load film and then change mind.  with N90s you
either lose the roll as it completely rewinds or open back whereever you
are and lose the first few frames.  Both awkward.  F3 rewind works fine
except need auto shutoff.  I can't tell you how many times I have
punched rewind on the f3s and set them down to do something else and
comeback minutes later (attention deficit disorder, I'm sure, now what
were we talking about???) and it is still winding that film round and
round and round.

Donal

- --
Donal Philby