Subject: Re: [Leica] R4 question.
From: Harrison McClary <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 97 17:13:39 -0500

Donal Philby wrote

>with N90s you
>either lose the roll as it completely rewinds or open back wherever you
>are and lose the first few frames.  Both awkward.
Donal,

One thing you can do, though still awkward, is to take a piece of film
about 4 inches long cut off the sprocket holes, lick it and stick it into
the film canister.  Once inserted turn the film inside the canister with
the spool until the film you stuck into the canister is almost all the
way pulled into the canister then pull it out.  9.9 times out of 10 this
will get the leader out.  An old UPI trick.

>F3 rewind works fine
>except need auto shutoff.  I can't tell you how many times I have
>punched rewind on the f3s and set them down to do something else and
>comeback minutes later (attention deficit disorder, I'm sure, now what
>were we talking about???) and it is still winding that film round and
>round and round.

At least you know it is well rewound!!

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto