Subject: Re: [Leica] 50 Summicron questions
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 1997 20:56:00 -0500

At 04:23 PM 12/26/97 EST, Doc wrote:
>Sadly, Leica lenses from the 50's and earlier
>seem to not age well at all...that "gunk" you describe is a commonality.
>Sometimes it can be cleaned off, sometimes not...and it's always expensive.

I suspect we're speaking of two different things here.  The Summarit had
quite soft glasses and often displays a haziness which requires repolishing
to remove.

Folks on the West Coast claim that Leitz lenses of the '50' are prone in
general to volatilization of oils causing a misting of internal elements
but, from earlier discussions on the LUG, this has not been much noted east
of Denver.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!