Subject: [Leica] new Black Star book
From: Harrison McClary <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 97 01:45:48 -0500

I just received my "Black Star; 60 Years of Photojournalism" book today
ISBN 3-89508-250-3.  It is an incredible book.  Beautiful (if you are
into the stark beauty of reality when shown by some of the best
photographers of our time).

The cover shows JFK sitting in a rocker looking over some notes, shot by
our very own (or used to be our very own) Fred Ward, of whom there is a
photo in the biographies section standing next to a very topless
Polynesian lady:) go Fred!.

Someone mentioned the Magnum book "In our time" several weeks ago, and I
must say the Black Star book is light years better.  It is what I
expected the Magnum book to be.  Considering the reputation of the Magnum
shooters I was vastly underwhelmed by that tome, but the Black Star book
is IMO a great piece to have read, and look at.   I highly recommend it
to anyone looking for a late Christmas gift to himself.

I don't think this is off topic as several of the shooters whose work is
in this book shoot with Leica, Chris Morris, Fred Ward, and many others.
Several have won Oscar Barnack awards ect.  As I said some of the top
news photographers work are represented in this fine book.

I just wish I had shot something good enough to be in it. :)
Maybe next time. :)

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto