Subject: Re: [Leica] tripod
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 16:13:44 -0800

At 11:07 AM 12/28/97 -0800, Donal wrote:

>Jim,
>Similar system.  RRS plates but Foba small ballhead.  My major complaint
>with the Foba is that it is sometimes iffy in the clamping.  I have
>several times found that it clamped down and then later I found it had
>loosened up.  Maybe was not square in the slot.  Last week this happened
>with the Foba Large ballhead with the Pentax 6x7 on it.  The Pentax fell
>>from about 5 feet and landed on the prism top on a concrete and tile
>floor.  Big dent, cracked prism inside and broke the glass plate on top
>of the ground glass.
>
>Sure put a dent in the profit margin on the job as well.
>
>Donal
>----

Donal,

I've had the opposite problem with one of my B1's (a known problem, but now
fixed). They would lock and then never unlock. So camera movement (or
falling) was never a problem. I had to send one B1 in to get it released.
There was a problem with the tension screw. As I said, that's been fixed on
current models. I'm not a huge ball head fan but the B1's are the right
size and weight for a lot of stuff. I like two handle pan-tilt heads. I
like to be able to adjust up/down and side-to-side separately. I use a dual
level in my hot shoe (Leica or Linhof) and with the ball head, if I have to
adjust one way, the other is always effected. But I've gotten good at
making it work over the years.

Sorry to hear about your 6x7... what a bummer! Almost nothing worse than
the sound of a camera hitting a concrete floor.

Jim