Subject: Re: [Leica] 75mm off the deep end?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 18:21:41 -0600

At 02:15 PM 12/31/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Some ideas...
>
>1) Pop Photo's lens testing procedures are out-of-whack

You could have stopped right there. This lens is very nice. I've used the
Leica 90 Summicron R (better than the M), 90 Elmarit (older model and have
seen pictures from the newer one - much better), the Nikkor AIS 85mm 1.4,
Contax 85mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8, Nikon 85mm 1.8, Nikon 80-200 2.8 AF-D,
Canon 70-200 2.8 USM, and some others.

So far with three days of preliminary tests with neg film and a high end
scanner, the 75 Summilux is better than all of them, except the 90 Elmarit
new.

Pop Photo doesn't test for lens performance overall. Just for some target
critereon that I have never found to be useful or accurate. I use lenses,
and find out how they do in the real world. And I find life much more fun
that way.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke